Sunday, May 06, 2012

New Quilt

 Lately I have been experimenting with new techniques.

This small quilt was started by putting Wonder Under on the back of the background pieces and ironing them directly to Hobbs Heirloom cotton batting.  This is what Melody Johnson advocates.  It really makes everything very stable.    The sky is a hand dyed piece and then I designed some sort of funky pine trees.
My idea with this piece was to quilt it with decorative embrodery stitches on my machine and of course straight stitch.  That worked well, but there were certain parts I felt needed to freemotion.  Such as the sky.  So, since this is my quilt and I could do whatever I wanted to do,  I continued to push the limit and used some heavy decorative threads, and then put the yellow piping between the quilt and the border.  It is a little whimical which is what I working towards and I am pleased with the results. 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: